So You’re Going to South University? Here’s What You Need To Know.
The South University Savannah campus is the original campus, founded in the year 1899. Savannah, Georgia became the birthplace of South University through the establishment of Draughon’s Practical Business College, a creation attributed to the pioneering efforts of Dr. John Draughon. This educational institution was conceived with a specific focus: to impart the foundational principles requisite for prosperous businesses. Its curriculum centered on disciplines such as accounting, banking, shorthand, bookkeeping, and typewriting, all of which were deemed essential for the attainment of business excellence.
They offer 20+ programs from Theology to Nursing, allowing you to pick the exact major and specialty you are looking for. And with less than 5,000 students, the small campus feel is perfect for anyone who is looking for more intimate class settings and a hands on learning environment.
Affordable Housing Off-Campus
- Colonial Village at Huntington: This recently renovated complex is 0.3 miles away from campus, making it super convenient to get to and from classes. You are also a 20 minute drive (give or take) from many inner Savannah neighborhoods and Tybee Island which makes you’re time in school and off school easily accessible. They also have a dog park and have been noted to have the friendliest staff!
- 8000 Waters Apartments: This complex comes highly recommended by students and locals alike. It is less than a 10 minute walk to campus and quick walk to local eateries and grocery stores, which is super convenient for busy students!
Grocery Store Options
Most grocery stores are within a 10 minute drive from South University campus, which gives you a lot options as far as affordability, variety and accessibility. These options are:
- Food Lion- Food Lion, 2208 E Derenne Ave, Savannah, GA 31406
- Kroger- 318 Mall Blvd Ste 100, Savannah, GA 31406
- Walmart Neighborhood Market- 10530 Abercorn St, Savannah, GA 31419
As South University is less than 12 miles away from Georgia Southern’s Armstrong campus, your options are fairly similar. Coffee shops include:
Libraries in the area include:
- Oglethorpe Mall Library (7 Mall Annex, Savannah, GA 31406): Students can apply for a free library card that grants them access to all technology resources at the library.
- Southwest Chatham Library (14097 Abercorn St, Savannah, GA 31419): Students can apply for a free library card that grants them access to all technology resources at the library.
- South University Library (709 Mall Blvd, Savannah, GA 31406): On campus library that works for those who want to stay close to classes and may have tight schedule.
You’ve got a lot of options here:
- Lake Mayer Park
- Bacon Park- 100 Eisenberg Dr, Savannah, GA 31406
- Truman Linear Park Trail (Tide to Town Trail)
You’ve chosen an ideal town for your academic journey, whether it’s your initial semester, your final one, or you’re deliberating your college choice. We extend our heartfelt wishes for success as you navigate through life’s path, no matter where it takes you. Above all, prioritize your safety, embrace the learning from mistakes, and savor enjoyable moments, as time rushes by swiftly.