Where to Volunteer in Savannah This Holiday Season
Volunteering is a wonderful way to spread kindness and positivity in our community, and Savannah is a city that values community and taking care of our neighbors. It’s also a great way to meet new people if you have just moved to Savannah. There are a lot of local organizations that need help during this time of year. Here are some of the best places to volunteer in Savannah during the holidays, and how your efforts can make a difference:
Second Harvest of Coastal Georgia is a nonprofit organization that provides food to those in need throughout the Savannah area. During the holidays, the organization’s food bank experiences a higher demand, and volunteers are needed to help sort and distribute food donations. By volunteering with Second Harvest of Coastal Georgia, you can help ensure that families in need have access to nutritious food during the holiday season.
In addition to its food bank, Second Harvest of Coastal Georgia operates a thrift store that helps support the organization’s mission. During the holidays, the thrift store experiences an increased demand for donations and volunteers. By volunteering at the thrift store, you can help sort and organize donations, assist customers, and make a difference in the lives of those in need.
Around the holidays the local shelters get overwhelmed with new animals due to the cold weather and being rehomed due to the holiday season. By volunteering or fostering through our local Humane Societies, we can help make sure that these animals are cared for and warm and fed. They need help with animal care, adoption events, and community outreach.
This nonprofit animal rescue organization is another wonderful way to help out our four-legged friends this Holiday season. Pooler Paws runs a big operation and like the Humane Society get overwhelmed during the holiday seasons. By volunteering your time to care for and find forever homes for abandoned and neglected animals.
Senior Citizens Inc. is a nonprofit organization that provides a wide range of services to seniors in the Savannah area, including meal delivery, transportation, and in-home care. During the holidays, volunteers are needed to help serve meals and deliver gifts to seniors in need. By volunteering with Senior Citizens Inc., you can help ensure that seniors in your community feel loved and cared for during the holiday season.
Looking for something different? Here are 21 other volunteer opportunities in Savannah:
- Savannah Tree Foundation: Contribute to the beautification and preservation of Savannah’s urban forest by volunteering for tree planting and maintenance projects.
- Gray’s Reef National Marine Sanctuary: Help protect and restore Gray’s Reef, a unique and vibrant marine habitat located off the coast of Georgia.
- Georgia Conservancy: Join this statewide environmental organization and volunteer for conservation initiatives, outdoor stewardship, and advocacy campaigns.
- UGA Marine Extension and Georgia Sea Grant (UGA): Assist with research projects, educational programs, and conservation efforts focused on Georgia’s coastal ecosystems.
- EDF Action: Join this environmental nonprofit and participate in advocacy campaigns focused on climate change and clean energy.
- Tybee Island Marine Science Center: Assist with educational programs, marine research, and rehabilitation efforts focused on Georgia’s coastal ecosystems.
- Georgia 4H: Mentor and guide youth in various educational and leadership programs offered by the University of Georgia Cooperative Extension.
- Chatham Emergency Management Agency: Assist with disaster preparedness and response efforts to help keep the community safe during emergencies.
- The Humane Society: Make a difference in the lives of animals by volunteering at the local Humane Society and assisting with animal care, adoption events, and community outreach.
- Pooler Paws Inc: Support this nonprofit animal rescue organization by volunteering your time to care for and find forever homes for abandoned and neglected animals.
- First City Pride Center: First City Pride Center is an inclusive advocacy, social, and service organization actively working to meet the needs for safety, empowerment, education, and wellbeing of Greater Savannah’s LGBTQIA+ community.
- SCORE Savannah: If you have business expertise, you can mentor aspiring entrepreneurs and contribute to the growth of local businesses.
- The Creative Coast: Make an impact on Savannah’s startup community by volunteering through their learning programs, events and more!
- League of Women Voters in Coastal Georgia: Promote civic engagement and voter education by volunteering with this organization dedicated to democracy and social justice
- Shelter from the Rain: Make a difference in the lives of homeless individuals by volunteering at this organization that provides essential services and support.
- Habitat for Humanity (International): Participate in building affordable housing and providing support to families in need.
- Savannah Care Center Inc: Offer support to individuals facing unplanned pregnancies by volunteering at this nonprofit organization.
- Savannah Hospice: Provide companionship and support to patients and families in need of end-of-life care.
Arts and Museums:
- Historic Savannah Foundation (HSF): Preserve and protect Savannah’s historic buildings and neighborhoods by volunteering with HSF’s advocacy and education programs.
- Savannah Music Festival: Contribute to the vibrant arts scene in Savannah by volunteering during the annual music festival, assisting with concerts, events, and artist support.
- The Jepson Center/The Telfair Museum of Art: Support one of the oldest public art museums in the Southeast by volunteering as a docent or assisting with special events.
- Mighty Eighth Air Force Museum: Share the stories and experiences of World War II veterans by volunteering at this historic museum.
- Davenport House Museum: Become a docent and share the rich history of this restored 1820s home, showcasing Savannah’s architectural and cultural heritage.
By volunteering with one of these organizations, you can help ensure that families have access to nutritious food, furry friends are warm and safe, seniors feel loved and cared for, and much more. If you want to get involved in our community, meet new people, and make new connections throughout the year, visit our Volunteer page to see all of the organizations with volunteer opportunities in Savannah.